Skip to main content

Mother of Satan bomber jailed for 34 years for Parsons Green Tube terror attack

Ahmed Hassan was inspired by Islamic State extremism and was "disappointed" when the bomb only partly detonated in a huge fireball that injured 51 passengers.
Parsons Green Tube bomber Ahmed Hassan wanted to avenge his father who was blown up in Iraq

A "ruthless" teenage asylum seeker has been jailed for at least 34 years for planting the Parsons Green Tube bomb which injured 51 passengers.

Iraqi Ahmed Hassan, who claims to be aged 18, pretended to engage with the anti terrorism Prevent scheme as he plotted mass murder.
He made a bomb with 400g of "Mother of Satan" explosives and 2.2kg of shrapnel while his unsuspecting foster parents were on holiday in Blackpool.
The Old Bailey heard he wanted to avenge the death of his father in Iraq and was "disappointed" when the bomb only partly detonated in a huge fireball.

A jury rejected his explanation that he only wanted to act out a fantasy like the Tom Cruise film Mission: Impossible and convicted him of multiple attempted murder.
He made no reaction as Mr Justice Haddon-Cave handed him a life sentence with a minimum term of 34 years.
Tube bomber Ahmed Hassan carries his device in a Lidl bag at Wimbledon Station before the bomb was detonated 
The judge said the defendant was a "dangerous and devious individual" who quietly went about plotting his attack with "ruthless determination and almost military efficiency while pretending to be a model asylum seeker".
He told Hassan: "Your intention that morning was to kill as many members of the British public as possible.
"I'm satisfied you were determined to create as much death and carnage that day as possible."
     The explosive device, left by Ahmed Hassan, can be seen burning on the underground train at Parsons Green tube station
Hassan was motivated by Islamic State extremism, "deep-seated hatred" of Britain, revenge for the death of his father and anger at continued bombing in Iraq.
For nearly two years, the highly intelligent college student had lived a "double life", he said.
Hassan had been shown "every kindness" since he arrived in Britain yet harbored "dark thoughts" and significant hatred and animosity towards the country that took him in.
The Tube carriage after the Parsons Green Tube bomb was detonated
The judge said: "One can only imagine the sense of betrayal felt by all those at Barnardo's and Brooklands College whom you duped."
He was satisfied Hassan had trained with is in Iraq, as he told British immigration officials, and was older than he purported to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

African Politicians Seeking Medical Help Abroad Is Shameful, and Harms Health Care

 Credit: Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong, University of Bath Photo: Allafrica.com Top-left: Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari. Top-right: Former president of Zamiba Levy Mwanawasa. Bottom-left: Former Ethiopian prime minister Meles Zenawi. Bottom-right: Former Guinea-Bissau president Malam Bacai Sanhá                                                                                             ANALYSIS By Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong, University of Bath There is an African idiom that if a man does not eat at home, he may never give his wife enough money to cook a good pot of soup. This might just be true when applied to politicians on the continent seeking medical help anywhere but home. Africa's public health systems are in a depressing condition. Preve...

Boat with 300 migrants arrives in Spain after week at sea

A charity rescue vessel carrying mainly African migrants plucked off Libya docked in Spain, ending a traumatic journey which saw them spending Christmas at sea and several European nations denied the ship entry. Migrants look out from the deck of the Spanish NGO Proactiva Open Arms rescue vessel, after being rescued in the Central Mediterranean Sea on December 21, before disembarking in the port of Crinavis in Algeciras, Spain, Friday, December  A Spanish aid boat carrying over 300 migrants rescued at sea arrived in Spain on Friday, ending a weeklong journey across the western Mediterranean. The boat, operated by the nonprofit group Proactiva Open Arms, docked at the Spanish port of Algeciras. The boat rescued 313 migrants in waters near Libya last week, but had to travel to Spain after Malta denied it permission to dock and Italy and other countries refused to help. Three of the migrants were later evacuated for health reasons. Oscar Camps, head of Proactiva...

Concerns rise for refugees who could face violence if Italian coastguard return them to Libya

Concerns are rising for the thousands of refugees and migrants who risk their lives at sea to get to Europe, following Italy's decision to take those rescued off the coast of Libya back to the country they are fleeing in future. Aid organisations are said to be "horrified" at the idea of taking rescued refugees back to their home country at a time when revelations of the violent beatings and torture they could face on their return are emerging. One Oxfam worker, Stefano Dimarco, said: "In Libya there are no human rights there is we cannot talk about a normal situation." Many Libyan refugees and migrant arrive in Europe by boats that are picked up off the coast of Italy  Credit: ITV News According to Oxfam a major report it is releasing next week is set to reveal dozens of testimonies of torture, sexual violence and murder against refugees and migrants in Libya just as Italy's parliament has authorised its coastguard to help take those pi...