Skip to main content

North Korea claims its missiles can hit US mainland



North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Saturday said his country's second flight test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) showed it could hit the U.S. mainland.
Kim expressed "great satisfaction" after the Hwasong-14 missile travelled 620 miles and reached a top height of 2,314 miles before landing in water off Japan's coast, Korean Central News Agency said, according The Associated Press.
The state news agency said the test was intended to confirm technical aspects of the missile, such as its range, and it could be used to deliver a "large-sized, heavy nuclear warhead."
Kim was quoted by the state news agency saying that the test put the "entire" U.S. mainland now in range for a missile and underscored the country's ability to fire at "random regions and locations at random times," according to the AP.
The North American Aerospace Defence Command had determined that the missile did not pose a threat to North America, but some analysts said the test appeared to show that swaths of the U.S. were in range of North Korean weapons.
The nonprofit Union of Concerned Scientists said that if the missile fired Friday reached the height and flight time that is estimated, it could have a theoretical range of at least 6,500 miles, meaning that depending on the size and weight of the warhead it could reach cities such as Los Angeles, Denver or Chicago.
The U.S. and South Korea fired missiles into waters off the South Korean coast on Friday in a show of force to North Korea following its missile test. The U.S. and South Korea conducted a similar test on July 5, in response to North Korea's launch of an ICBM on July 4.
President Trump on Friday evening condemned North Korea's latest launch, saying such tests "further isolate North Korea, weaken its economy, and deprive its people."
"The United States will take all necessary steps to ensure the security of the American homeland and protect our allies in the region," he said in a statement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

African Politicians Seeking Medical Help Abroad Is Shameful, and Harms Health Care

 Credit: Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong, University of Bath Photo: Allafrica.com Top-left: Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari. Top-right: Former president of Zamiba Levy Mwanawasa. Bottom-left: Former Ethiopian prime minister Meles Zenawi. Bottom-right: Former Guinea-Bissau president Malam Bacai Sanhá                                                                                             ANALYSIS By Tahiru Azaaviele Liedong, University of Bath There is an African idiom that if a man does not eat at home, he may never give his wife enough money to cook a good pot of soup. This might just be true when applied to politicians on the continent seeking medical help anywhere but home. Africa's public health systems are in a depressing condition. Preve...

Boat with 300 migrants arrives in Spain after week at sea

A charity rescue vessel carrying mainly African migrants plucked off Libya docked in Spain, ending a traumatic journey which saw them spending Christmas at sea and several European nations denied the ship entry. Migrants look out from the deck of the Spanish NGO Proactiva Open Arms rescue vessel, after being rescued in the Central Mediterranean Sea on December 21, before disembarking in the port of Crinavis in Algeciras, Spain, Friday, December  A Spanish aid boat carrying over 300 migrants rescued at sea arrived in Spain on Friday, ending a weeklong journey across the western Mediterranean. The boat, operated by the nonprofit group Proactiva Open Arms, docked at the Spanish port of Algeciras. The boat rescued 313 migrants in waters near Libya last week, but had to travel to Spain after Malta denied it permission to dock and Italy and other countries refused to help. Three of the migrants were later evacuated for health reasons. Oscar Camps, head of Proactiva...

Concerns rise for refugees who could face violence if Italian coastguard return them to Libya

Concerns are rising for the thousands of refugees and migrants who risk their lives at sea to get to Europe, following Italy's decision to take those rescued off the coast of Libya back to the country they are fleeing in future. Aid organisations are said to be "horrified" at the idea of taking rescued refugees back to their home country at a time when revelations of the violent beatings and torture they could face on their return are emerging. One Oxfam worker, Stefano Dimarco, said: "In Libya there are no human rights there is we cannot talk about a normal situation." Many Libyan refugees and migrant arrive in Europe by boats that are picked up off the coast of Italy  Credit: ITV News According to Oxfam a major report it is releasing next week is set to reveal dozens of testimonies of torture, sexual violence and murder against refugees and migrants in Libya just as Italy's parliament has authorised its coastguard to help take those pi...